VTTC, what happened?!!

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

A few days back i started a post about some pointers on my first VTTC driven
with an 811A tube and a MOT.  Here is the link to the coil im building:

http://www.angelfire-dot-com/electronic/cwillis/811acoil.html

Someone told me that the filter cap was wired wrong, is it??  when i wired
it the way he told me, nothing happened.  I let the tube warm up, turned on
the plate transformer, and nothing.  Measured amp draw was 5A at this time.
so i disconnected the connection that went from the filament to the filter
cap.  Tried it again and heard some quiet clicking noises, didnt measure
amps at that time.  Well since this wasnt working, i tried connecting it in
the way that the diagram on the website shows, then something happened.  The
tube went really bright(more clicking noise) so i cut the power.  I tried it
again with the amp meter, and the input went to 15A and so the fuse
blew(fuses are horrible if you blow them alot, id rather have a reset type
box).

Now what happened????  i dont know much about tube circuits so i need help
with this.  Could someone please take 5 minutes and actually read the page
and study the diagram and tell me what is wrong.  I have 2 small changes on
my coil 1) the value of C2 is .03uf   2)  my resistors are 2x10k ohm 10w.  I
dont have a variac, so i cant slowly turn up the power.  Also, i dont have a
choke coil since he said it was not necessary, now i wonder, is it
necessary?  If some one could help me i'd really appreciate it, and boy do i
need some help.

Steve Ward.