SRSG timing & other Q's

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi all,
Ive been working on a SRSG for my 1440w dual 12/60 powered tesla coil.  Ive
been having all sorts of problems with alignment of the electrodes at the
voltage peaks.  Whenever i simply run the gap motionless, it works fine and
does not fire the safety gap.  When i get it spinning, it rarely (few times
a sec) fires the rotary gap and always in the safety gap.  Im simply running
the coil without a seconday(with a primary and caps only).  I think that i
may have solved my problem with a handbuilt cradle type mount.  Are cradle
mounts a good way to get a SRSG up and running??  Ive tried, loosening and
re-adjusting the disc, about 100 times, and never really get it to work
correctly.  I am pretty sure that the motor runs sync, it passed the
florescent light test.  But one question that i have is, is it dangerous to
run my sync gap if im not totally sure that the alignment is correct.  I
want to be sure that i am not going to fry my $80 worth of transformers from
testing it.  For example, is the situation that i described above, with out
the safety gap, gonna ruin my transformers?  I kept the safety gap just to
be sure, but is it normal for the safety to fire, if my dwell time(electrode
alignment) is off.  Any other tips that anyone has for the poor
scientist(lol) about these types of gaps.  Also, if there is any good sites
that i may not know about that cover this, please send them to me.  Any help
is appreciated.

Steve Ward.