Re: Primary coil design

In a message dated 5/31/02 1:20:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Dan,

Although a solenoid (cylinder) primary can give the
tightest coupling, tight coupling is not desireable.  Too tight
coupling will simply cause racing sparks and flashovers and
will destroy the secondary.  If you use a solenoid primary,
you'll have to make it rather wide, or raise the secondary a
lot, to lower the coupling to a useable degree.  Some folks
use them though.

Cheers,
John