Re: which is better?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/30/02 8:16:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> >Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <Beans45601-at-aol-dot-com>
> >
> >Which primary coil is better, a flat coil or a "v" shaped coil?
> >Thanks
> >Adam

Adam,

I have built several primaries.  Some at 30 degrees, saucer shaped and some
flat.  Both of my coils now use flat primaries.  They are easier to build and
provide more clearance from the toroid so you have less chance of spark
discharges hitting the primary.  The saucer shaped primaries provide tighter
coupling, usually too tight requiring you to raise the secondary.  Flat
primaries can be adjusted (usually to be just even with the lowest secondary
winding) to provide all the coupling that you will need or want.

Ed Sonderman