Re: Primary coil design

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Dan_Gallagher%PULSARNOTES-at-pulsartech-dot-com>

>Hi folks,
>What is a solenoid type primary? Is that cylindrical? I noticed that it was
>mentioned that a solenoid primary has the highest coupling to the
>secondary. I'm in the developmental stage still and trying to decide my
>primary design.
>
>I have:
>15/60 NST
>one or two SW bucket caps
>Terry's protection circuit
>Haven't done the gaps yet but working on it
>
>Thanks
>
>getting closer......
>Dan
>Ft. Lauderdale

Hi Dan...

solinoid is considered to be the helical ( spring like design)  which
means that the primary is coiled like a spring. Yes it does have the
strongest coupling factor to the secondary compared to the other designs
( conical , flat)  altho it does present some difficulties in tuning,
secondary spark racing, and in general ...   supportive structures which
lend to an non-easy design to produce.

consider a hybrid of the helical and flt design.....   the first several
turns are helical ( or conical with a deep angle) and then the rest
being flat ( for the ease of tuning) ......

Scot D