HV voltage divider

Original poster: "Richard Williams by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <richardwwilliams-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I have a 990meg ohm resistor salvaged from a HV DC probe whose meter was shot.
Can I add a resistor in series, 10 meg ohm?, to ground to measure HV? Haven't
tried it since I'm leary of inflicting damage to my digital meter since I've
never done this before. Input impedence of the meter at the 700vac range is
10meg so would that "look" like a 5 meg resistor overall ?