Re: Flat Coil Concept

Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Hi Cory,

Welcome to coiling

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Cory Roussel by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <imcuddlycory-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Hello all,
>
> Despite my activity and intrest in Tesla Coiling i hav
> enever actually built a coil, or even seen one in
> person.  I am constantly revisiting basic underlying
> concepts behind tesla coiling, because i have never
> had any formal education on it, like a book or
> tutorial   The concept of a flat tesla coil seems like
> good idea...  Any good sites that explain flat coils
> in further detail?? my main barrier from building a TC
> is just the HV Transformer...  I have no place to get
> a neon around here, anyone have an nst that hasnt been
> fixed that i can depot and repot to start coiling?
> Anyways, in a pancake coil wouldent it be best to wind
> the wire into a spiral with the insulation on the top
> and bottom fo the wire, instead of with a big roll of
> tape around the wire??

 I think you are talking about my flat coil here, The wire was spiraled
onto the coil side by side. The problem is that the dielectric, or
insulation value of the magnet wire used, was not enough to hold "the
voltage between turns" that the coupling from Primary to Secondary
produced. So what i did was too put an extra layer of insulation over
the wire.
 The "underneath" of the primary already has a layer of tape on it.
This extra layer of insulation was close to enough, but you are right,
Flat coils might work better if insulated wire was used.
 maybe that is why tesla was seated beside a "space wound" coil?
Good observations!

 Also, Is there really any
> special frequency that tesla coils operate best at or
> is it just that 200khz is a nice frequency to transfer
> energy to the secondary???

 The band between 100khz and 300khz is just the space that most coils
fall into, Above and bellow this things get interesting.
 It all falls into the turns per inch that you have, other things too,
but basically.
 each will transfer the same amount of energy, if set up properly.
Hope this helps,
Marc M.