Spark Gap Losses (Re: Primary Heating)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

> Tesla list wrote:

> >Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

> >I wonder if a conical primary, where the inner turns are less under the
> >influence of the outer turn's magnetic field, can be shown to have lower
> >proximity-effect losses?

> >Since the losses necessary to heat up a significant length of copper tubing
> >probably are significant, would the losses in a primary segment (just the
> >innermost 2-3 turns, since Litz wire can't be tapped) constructed of Litz
> >wire be significantly less?

> >Gary Lau
> >MA, USA

> Hi All...
>
> after reading many of the primary heating threads, I began to wonder if
> (since we have so many great minds at work here ;)   ) someone has
> pondered the fact that we lose way too much energy in the spark gap that
> could be effectively transposed into the secondary/capacitor. Is there
> any way to reduce the losses in the spark gap, or is this a mute

	[moot....   8)>>]

> subject???

	Sure.  Its called an SSTC, or one of the huge number of
	variants.

> there is alot of energy lost ... consider the light produced, the heat
> produced... if we could only regain that energy and put it where it
> needs to go.....    maybe a 20% increase in streamer length ... if not
> more???

> come on people lets give it a thought or 10 ....  just maybe we can come
> up with a new approach ...

	Suggest checking the archives under gap losses, or similar
	subjects.  By all means rediscuss, however much discussion
	has taken place.

	Bottom Line (so far) seems to be that for sheer power handling,
	cost, and robustness, a good spark gap is hard to beat.

	OTHER approaches also have losses.

	By all means, there may be something to find, however it has
	been discussed.

	best
	dwp