SEB Model

Original poster: "Wall Richard Wayne by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

1/10/02

TC list,

In reference to my SEB model, Paul makes confused comments.  They are in
reference to my assertion S = E x B.  Some of the most puzzling, I repeat.

=======

The S vector is called the Poynting vector and is *defined* to be
E x H  (to be read as E cross H, where 'cross' is the vector cross
product).  It isn't another component of the field, but relates to
E and H in the same way that length and breadth relate to area, or
that volts and current relate to power.  The S vector points in the
direction of energy flow.  Just like you can have real power and
reactive (or complex) power, you can define a complex S vector, E x H*
where H* is the complex conjugate of H.  Integrate S to obtain the
energy density of the field.  PN

Correction: S = E x H.   If you use  H x E or B x E, the resulting
vector points the opposite way.  The vector cross product
anti-commutes, ie H x E = -(E x H).  We defined S to be E x H, so
it's there for as long as we want it to be.  We defined it that way
so that it represents the power flow in the field.  PN

=======

I stand by my original statement that
S = E x B.  This is not an original of mine.  It's in many texts and widely
available to the public.  It's no secret.

For instance, Please see attached three pages from "The Feynman  Lectures
on Physics" Vol II.  It's very easy reading and has great diagrams
regarding the Poynting Vector.  Not any H's around.  Lot's of B's though.
I'll let the list read it and make their own decisions.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/SEB.101.gif

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/SEB.102.gif

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/SEB.103.gif

Yeah, Nobel Laureate Feynman was probably just another "Cranky Yankee".  %^ }

Terry, look at the flat plate capacitors and their relationship with SEB.
Should help your experiment.

Peace,

RWW