Re: Cyclotron effect

In a message dated 3/13/02 10:31:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I think the larger question is, why is it that VTTC & solid state coils,
> pulsed or CW, will generate straight streamers?  It may have to do with the
> nature of the airflow generated by the streamers, probably duty-cycle
> and/or envelope related.
>
> Gary Lau

Hi Gary,

I've reported previously on an envelope effect.  It seems that
rising envelopes are more likely to produce the straight sparks,
whereas, decrementing waveforms are more likely to produce
branched sparks.  I base this on some tests I did with a VTTC.
Of course heating or other effects may also be a cause.

Cheers,
John