Smoke(d) Filter

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

ARGGGGGH!
         Brought my coil with incremental power supply on line full today with
disaster! My "BigTerry-style"  filter has worked fine for 6 months at 15/60,
worked great for a week at 15/120 and for a day at 15/180. Today I kicked it up
to 15/240 and the MOVs joined in a mass extinction, quietly releasing volumes
of choking, magic smoke. A post-mortem revealed the 100 W resistors were cold,
the caps were slightly warm, and the MOVs were scalding hot; several had
ruptured. Safety gaps set at ~ 8 mm each side of ground; SRGS w/ phase control
and 2 gaps set to about 6 mm -at-120BPS. Any suggestions before I build/burn
another one?

Matt D.
G3-1085

And God Said:
Del . Fe=rho(ve)/epsilon;  Del . Fm=0; Del x Fe + d Fm/d t =0;
Del x Fm=mu*J + mu*epsilon*(dFe/dt)  . . . and there was light !