Re: FW: Mutual Inductance & K Factor (was : Arc Over Between Secondaryand Primary Coils)

Hi John, (some corrections to your numbers below),

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>
>
> Bart -
>
> For Nolan's coil and your Java9.1 program.
>
> Secondary  2.375 - 12.75 - .014705 - 0 - 0
> Toroid     9.1 - 3.375 - 0 - 0
> Primary    5.2 - .180 - .25 - 3.8368 - 0 - .03 - 0

Secondary 2.375 - 12.75 - 0.0126 - 0.001 - 0
Toroid  9.5 - 3.375 - 0 - 65.3
Primary  4.375 - .126 - .25 - 3.189 - 0 - .03 - 0

John, previously I calc'd a .002 for insulation instead of .001 (this changes a
few numbers, but mainly the top load (65.3%!, wow).

> Outputs  Fr = 470.08  Lm = 17.72  K= .1035
>          Lp = 3.82    Ls = 7.67
>          Pri turns    3.84
>          Sec turns    867.1
>          Turns per Inch = 68

Outputs Fr=613.1 Lm=14.99 K=.1134 JavaTC
    Lp=2.25 Ls=7.78
    Pri turns  3.189
    Sec turns  873.3
    Turns per Inch =68.5

Acmi shows Lm=14.96 K=.1133

> With Sec above Pri = 3
>          Lm = 3.66     K = .0213

    Lm=27.54 K=.2083 JavaTC
    Lm=26.35 K=.1996 Acmi

John, in JavaTC, type in "nolan" then retrieve the coil. All the parameters
will come up and you should be able to pull those over to JHCTES with some
minor calcs for JHCTES primary inputs (av radius, etc.).

> There are big differences between the Lm and K values for the Java9.1 and
> JHCTES programs.

Agree fully. There are also big differences between Acmi and MandK with JHCTES
in this area.

> Only proper testing will solve the problem. The tests
> should include separate tests for the Lm and the K Factors. For the Lm
> (mutual inductance) the 2.65 amps in the primary will give a direct reading
> in microhenries. For the K Factor the Frequency test is best
>       K = sqrt(1- (Fo/Fs)^2)

I don't know if you remember, but I performed this test (you coached me
throught it). It worked just fine. The test matched Acmi's output and compared
well to the current and voltage tests. BTW, it's been mentioned with the
current and voltage testing, that higher currents will be more accurate. I've
tried high currents and low currents and got the same values of Lm and K.

Something I want to be clear about: JavaTC is an approximation for design
purposes and nothing more. For accuracy, Acmi or MandK should run. With both
however, the coiler needs to make accurate measurements. When these programs
are given accurate measurements, they give accurate outputs (as is typical with
all programs).

Take care,
Bart