Re: Potting Diode Strings

Hi Alex,

On 25 Mar 2002, at 7:46, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

> Hi All,
> 	This whole discussion on potting a few
> diodes seems a little long, but FWIW here are
> my comments - firstly, if you were to use a
> full wave rectifier the greatest PIV seen by
> the diodes would be about 20v at the most
> (number of diodes * foward voltage drop)
> which kills the risk of flashover, for the
> time and money and effort you may as well go
> for full wave and get more power in the
> process. As for holding them neatly, i would
> suggest attatching them to a piece of
> acryllic, either with hot glue (easy way) or
> by putting four bolts though the plastic and
> gluing them in, then attach the ends of the
> four strings to the bolts.
>
> as a sideline i just remebered that with a
> center tapped transformer you can full wabe
> rectify it with just two (strings of) diodes,
>

> AC_1---------->|---|
> CT-------LOAD------|
> AC_2---------->|---|
>

> Whilst i am sure all the EE's on the list
> knew about this it is not an obvious config.
>
> regards
>
> alex

The main problem with that configuration is that you aren't making
best use of the copper in the windings. Only one half of the
secondary is delivering power at any one time. A bridge would be the
way to go in my book. You still only need the same number of diodes
and they would be distributed in four strings rather than two.

Regards,
Malcolm