Re: Potting Diode Strings

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

26/03/2002 00:32:55, "Tesla list"
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
Hi Malcom,
>Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of
Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

>Hi Alex,
>
>On 25 Mar 2002, at 7:46, Tesla list wrote:
>
>> Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of
Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>
>>
>> Hi All,
>> 	This whole discussion on potting a few
>> diodes seems a little long, but FWIW here
are
>> my comments - firstly, if you were to use
>> full wave rectifier the greatest PIV seen
by
>> the diodes would be about 20v at the most
>> (number of diodes * foward voltage drop)
>> which kills the risk of flashover, for the
>> time and money and effort you may as well
go
>> for full wave and get more power in the
>> process. As for holding them neatly, i
would
>> suggest attatching them to a piece of
>> acryllic, either with hot glue (easy way)
or
>> by putting four bolts though the plastic
and
>> gluing them in, then attach the ends of
the
>> four strings to the bolts.
>>
>> as a sideline i just remebered that with a
>> center tapped transformer you can full
wabe
>> rectify it with just two (strings of)
diodes,

>> AC_1---------->|---|
>> CT-------LOAD------|
>> AC_2---------->|---|
>>

>> Whilst i am sure all the EE's on the list
>> knew about this it is not an obvious
config.

>> regards
>>
>> alex
>
>The main problem with that configuration is
that you aren't making
>best use of the copper in the windings. Only
one half of the
>secondary is delivering power at any one
time. A bridge would be the
>way to go in my book. You still only need
the same number of diodes
>and they would be distributed in four
strings rather than two.

>Regards,
>Malcolm

I know, i realised this soon after i sent it,
rectifying it like this means you only get
about half the peak ac voltage - which sucks
for TC applications.

Regards

Alex