RE: Re: hvguy-dot-com new flyback driver

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

When I was a kid, I perfected a flyback circuit that worked with a single
2N3055.  The key was putting an inductor (couple of mH?) directly from base
to emitter to suck the charge out of the base during turn off.  I used 20
turns of secondary on the bottom rung of the flyback, and 2 turns of
tickler coil connected via a cap to the base.  This was an oscillator.  You
start the oscillation by hitting a button which spikes the base line, then
its free running.  I used to be able to flash over and incinerate the
biggest flybacks from the 70's, with about 30V Vcc.  This circuit was very
efficient since the L-C high pass character of the tickler circuit pulsed
the transistor with a very short width.  Rob.

ps.  I'd love to build one of these again, but those old flybacks are
no-where to be found except in landfills