Re: flat coil ?

Original poster: "Chris Swinson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>

Hi Paul,

>    Geometry = cylinder
>    Diameter = 45"
>    Height = starts from 12" below the secondary plane,
>             winding downwards away from the secondary.
>    Pitch = 0.5"
>    Material = 8mm tube
>    Active turns = 6.2
>    C = 12 nF
>    L = 92.6 uH
>    k = 0.21
>
> I suppose that if the primary supports were also the secondary
> supports, that would minimise the woodwork.  You'd end up with
> a very interesting circular coffee table on three legs. Primary
> stitched to the inside of the legs.  Nothing is near the center,
> and the rim is earthed.  Cover with a big thick sheet of clear
> plastic or glass and power with a modest voltage for a novel
> piece of furniture!
>
> I'm still trying to make sense of your stuff on parallel coils.
> --
> Paul Nicholson
> --

Funny you should say that because the old lady next door came around and saw
me cutting out the circles of wood and she said to me "Are you making coffee
tables dear ?"  just had to laugh really..... anyway, Did I read you post
right ?  Are you saying wind the coil around the outside of the flat coil or
under it ?  I never thought about if it would be possible to wind the
primary under the actually coil and not around the outside of it.  If it was
that simple then I could use my 2 foot dia primary and not bother to build a
4foot dia primary. I would feel better to of course build a 4foot dia
primary as its with things which I understand the best at the moment....

For the parallel coils, once I get my floor space back from when the flat
coil is done I will do better tests and take better readings.   BTW, The
flat coil is half varnished now, 1/4th of it has had its second coat
already. Over the next 2 days I will finish the first layer of varnish on
the rest of it.  I got some "quicker" drying varnish this time which should
be better :)

Chris