Re: Secondary capacitance

Original poster: "Dave Larkin by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <teslaman15-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi Frederick

It is also possible to roughly measure the Vout of a TC,  without any fancy
test gear etc.  Coilers of yesteryear attempted to use output spark length
as a crude guage of voltage.  As we now know stepped leader effects and
wildly non-uniform fields made these guestimates accurate to within an order
of magnitude (or maybe worse!).

However there is a method of determining output voltage from spark length
which yields a far more accurate results.  The coil must be operated in
'single shot' mode (ie. rather than being repetatively pulse by a fast
firing spark gap, the primary cap is dscharged once.)

A small DC supply is used to charge the primary cap, until the spark gap
breaks down.  The output spark length under these conditions _is_ (almost) a
direct relation of voltage.  So if a ground terminal with a large ROC (to
try and make the field a bit more uniform) is used and the single shot spark
length measured, one can determine the approximate output voltage, using the
fact that air breaks down at ~1MV/meter for large gaps.

-Dave-

Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn-dot-com