Re: SS MOT's

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi All,

(snip from Matt G.)
> Would these work like a MOSFET?Like, can I replace MOSFETs with
> IGBTs in a SSTC?What kinda results can i expect?

Generally speaking, IGBT's are slower than MOSFET's...I think the top
end for an IGBT is around 3 or 400kHz? MOSFET's can still work well
at frequencies above 30Mhz, then again, bipolar xstrs do up into
10Ghz). Anyhow the good thing for us, is that IGBT's can handle a lot
more power and higher voltages than your typical power MOSFET. I have
one rated 3.3kV -at- 1200A.

BTY for those who don't know, IGBT = Insulated Gate Bipolar
Transistor. Seems like an oxymoron, but isn't ; )

Later,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: justin-at-hvguy-dot-com