Re: Garage Physics

Original poster: "W.R. Langston by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <blangsto-at-iwvisp-dot-com>

Last night my son and I fired up our latest coil, a 12.75 x 52.75 -at- 20 ga.
magnet wire type. We tried to get it going for Halloween, but in our haste
someone wired the caps and gaps all in series. What we got that night was
ear-rupturing cap discharges to the grounded terminal of our pig HV
terminals. We pumped 240v 65a into that system and got appropriate noise
and light out, but the only streamers were when the field collapsed as the
system discharged to ground. Those were about 18 to 24 inch arcs, instantly
here and gone.
I am the "old" physics guy, working in another field now, my son is the
newly degree'd man in the lab, government lab at that, and he couldn't
"see" how putting the gap in parallel with the pig would help out. So I
just got out of the way and let him learn empirically what the excitement
of the moment was blocking out of his mind for the moment. Any way, last
night the opportunity came up for me to "find" the problem and bring it up
in a non I-told-you-so way, rewire it as we were talking, and go for a test
run. I am using three of the Maxwell caps the folks at Tesla Research sold
me a year or two ago, and they work great. I set it up so we are way over
cap'd, thinking it would be easy enough to drop connections as necessary.
As things turned out, when we got the gap running (4 moving, 2 fixed
electrodes at 3600 rpm), primary taped at  turn 8 to start, 14,400v in to
the gap and cap, we got 8 footers visible in evening light. A bit of
playing with the tap (out to turn 12 of 18) and we were getting between 13
and 15 footers, big, scary, thick blue and blue white arcs. That brought
the whole neighborhood out to see what those crazy guys were up to now. We
are putting this into the lasers, accelerator, TC and chemistry things we
go around and demo in neighborhoods to try to catch the attention of kids
on science and the fun of learning and gaining skills. It is a blast. What
a great life... to be able to do that with your own son.
My point was that we caught him the same way when he was young. He went to
university, physics, works in the field, married a physi-female (who is
even now housebreaking the lad ;-), and I am looking forward to helping a
grand baby, or 12, cut teeth on a pig and primary set up. It works! Living
it out in front of the youngsters, and taking time to love them and spend
money and energy with and on them works. Just to encourage whomever it may
out there.

For LIFE and lightening in the desert of CA,
Bill L.