Re: 3/4, 1/4, or 3/4 copper tubing?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Adam,
Comments interspersed:

In a message dated 11/3/02 3:39:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>
>
> > I am in the process of building my new coil, but wondering if I should use
> > 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 inch copper tubing for my primary. My power supply will
>be
> > 2 12/60 nst's (1440W). Also, what size tubing should I use for my spark
>rail?
> > Thanks
> > Adam

Yes, 1/4" tubing is fine, even up to +/- 3 KVA for both primary and strike
rail.

>You'll get a lot of different opinions on this, but 1/4" copper tubing
>should be just fine.  I run two (2) 15kV/60mA NSTs using only a
>1/4" copper tubing and it barely gets warm even during long run periods.
>
>Strike rail???  A strike is good for looks.  Functionally, its basically
>worthless in my opinion.   In my experience, the same people claiming you
>need
>a ground system consisting of six hundred, geometrically spaced, 20 foot
>rods in the earth are the same people who are going to tell you you need
>a strike rail.

IMO, this is just smart-a** attitude, similar to advocating "unsafe
physical relationships". He can be right a thousand times, but YOU only
have to be wrong once. ;-(((

>Heck, my grounding system now is just tying my braided rf ground lead with a
>single loose-fitting overhand knot around my gas line going into my house.
>Works great!!!!

snip - - -

Attaching even a low voltage electrical ground to a live gas line is
absolutely illegal.  Attaching HV to it is also grossly irresponsible, and
a serious danger to anyone living in the house or nearby. Consider that
when evaluating safety advice from different sources.

Matt D.

33-year natural gas pipeline engineer, (lived to retire)