Re: LTR vs Resonance Pri cap...

Hi Daniel,

The archives are a bear!  We tried to find a way to work them better a few
months ago but I don't think anyone figured a better way.

LTR capacitors will not go over voltage and blow the NST.  Good well
adjusted safety gaps should prevent NST failure with a resonant system, but
once in awhile things just don't go right...  So from a blowing NST and
caps point of view, LTR caps are far safer then resonant systems.

LTR caps should give the best power throughput and streamer
length.  Resonant systems can come close, but their higher primary currents
have higher losses.  LTR systems tend to have lower currents and
frequencies that help reduce losses.

Sync gap LTR systems are especially powerful.  They literally suck extra
power out of the NST.

Personally, if working with NSTs, I would not consider anything but LTR
systems.  Pole transformer systems or others that have adjustable charging
current and lots of power to spare can get away with just about any cap
size and the advantages decrease in those cases.

Cheers,

         Terry