Re: LTR vs Resonance Pri cap...

In a message dated 11/4/02 10:02:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>I've been researching the list archives until I've become cross-eyed. Would
>anyone care to, briefly, describe the pros & cons of selecting a LTR
>primary capacitor vs a value that is resonate with the main power
>transformer's secondary? LTR seems to be the general consensus of the list
>but why?

Daniel,

The LTR system keeps the voltage lower on the NST, which protects
the NST from being overvolted.  If the gap fails to fire, such as could
happen in a rotary gap system, LTR will prevent the voltage from
resonantly building up too high.  You'll get about the same spark
length using either LTR or resonant, in a rotary gap system, in many
cases.

John