First light...Mixed Emotions

Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi everyone,

Well, tonight we fired up our second coil after many sleepless nights
building it. It worked, but this coil right now is really bad-tempered. We
got sparks almost EVERYWHERE. It comes off the wire that goes to the
primary and hits the secondary, sparks along connections between wires,
saftey gaps, primary to secondary, the secondary along itself, and oh yeah
- a little off the toroid =P. We were able to clean it up a littlle and got
rid of most of the unwanted sparks, but we are still getting hits from the
primary to the secondary and along the secondary itself. Sigh - We are now
putting a few more coats of polyurathane along the secondary which should
insulate it better and will hopefully get it running again by tomorrow
night. I'll try and get some pictures posted soon. (once it works)

Dimensions are here if anyone cares.

Power supply: 9kv 120ma NST. This is a BIG NST. Only RF protection is
saftey gaps.

Spark Gap: RQ spark gap w/ vaccum motor to pull air through it.

Capacitor: LTR that has 2 strings of 6 geek caps with a total of .05mfd

Primary: 13 turns of 1/4 inch refridgerator tubing spaced 1/4 inch apart
and tapped at about turn 8. The inner turn of the primary may be too close
to the secondary (1.5 inches) but we don't want to be cutting off inner
turns yet untill we're sure.

Secondary: 6.25 inch outer diameter PVC wound for 24.5 inches with 22 gauge
magnet wire. We are triple coating the coil again to try and get rid of
those sparks.

Toroid: 28 inch outer diameter with 4 inch flex duct. This probably needs
to be covered in aluminium tape and smoothed out as we are getting lots of
very tiny (10 inch) sparks all around the perimeter of the coil but no
actual streamers.

Sorry if this post is a little long. I hope we can get this one to work
better than the last one. (12 inches at most, it was really sad)

-Chris

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all
of them yourself."-unknown