Re: First light...Mixed Emotions

Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

The sparks along the sec coil are called "Racing Sparks" and they are
caused by over coupling. You pir coil is too close to you sec coil. This is
not the end of the world.  If your pri coil is an inverse cone, "platter
coil" or if it's a flat one, you're sitting pretty. Just raze the sec coil
and the problem goes away. I don't think you will need to raze it far just
and inch or 3. If to have a platter coil, flatten it till the bad bad
beasties go away.
	I designed all my pri-sec coil setups to be adjustable except this one
time. I got nasty sparks all over my coil and had to make major
adjustments. I made a pri coil once that essentially had no inner diameter,
just 1.5" I think. The sec coil was on a rod that came through the pri coil
(3.5") and was threaded up or down as needed. It was one of my best.
Good luck
Read you later
Josh