Re: circuit board makers

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Ken and All,

(snip from Ken)
 > Are there any places like pcb123-dot-com or whatever that will CUT up
 > yout finished boards to the size you want? I"m looking for some
 > boards around 2" x 10" or so.

Are you meaning to make the board(s) yourself, then mail it in
somewhere to have them cut to exact size? I don't know of anyone that
does this...

pcb123-dot-com, 4pcb-dot-com, and expressPCB-dot-com are some options if you want
to send a file and have brand-new boards arrive at your doorstep.
ExpressPCB-dot-com and pcb123-dot-com have extremely easy-to-use software
that you download. After you finish laying out your board with their
software, you email them the file. With 4pcb-dot-com, you send them a
gerber file, which is the output of many advanced PCB software
packages such as Orcad, Protel, and Pcad.

Within all PCB software, there is some means of putting a "board edge
line" around the board...whether 2 x 10 or something else. This sets
the exact shape and size of the board and will be manufactured
accordingly.

If you do most of your boards by hand with a sharpie or press'n'peel
like I do, try using a dremel tool with a large cutoff wheel on it.
Cut the board out as close as you can to the edge line, and clean up
with a file. The entire process takes a mere 10 minutes and produces
near-perfect edges and sharp corners. I did my SSTC H-bridge like
this, you can see it at the top of my website.

Take care,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: justin-at-hvguy-dot-com