Re: Definitions of High Voltage

Hi Bart,

> hey, that's just my definition. Bottom line for me
> is, if I shock is possible
> without physically touching the "whatever", then I
> consider it high voltage.

---
Interesting is the fact that bellow 300-400 V in a
very narrow gap there is still no gas discharge before
metal to metal touch (standard atm. conditions).
This is probably due to the proceeses and zones
neccessary to be met in order to develop (read start)
arc between two electrodes.Without getting deeper in
this subject ,I can say that I did the experiment few
years ago to demonstrate that phenomenon (at ordinary
atmosperic pressure of course).
I charged a cap to about 300 V and gap was made of 2
very sharp needles,I could measure and adjust distance
between the electrodes by micrometer device.
Even at 0.02 mm distance between sharp poins I
couldn't provoke cap to discharge (calculate orginaly
supposed E field there!).
However I could see spark when I touch the electrodes
.My guess to explain that was dynamic bouncing of
contacts at moment of getting in touch.

regards,
Boris