RE: The Tabletop Tesla Coil Showdown - OFFICIAL RULES and WEBSITE

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

The old problem remains: I, for one, am unable to obtain a 4kV/20mA
transformer here in NZ, much less one from a particular manufacturer.

actually build really cool
tesla coils should be ingenius enough to obtain a simple 4kV/20mA
transformer.
For one, i found three franceformer distributors in New Zealand by simply
doing a search on google.
Secondly, you could always ask someone (such as one of the many kind users
of this group) to simply buy one
and ship it to you.

     I previously suggested that the only real competition in Tesla
Coiling stakes was to beat John Freau's 1.7*SQRT(VA) for a single
resonator machine. That of course includes magnifiers. It's an open
competition, both to all comers, and for as long as it takes. I think
we'd learn much more doing that than trying to beat each other with a
particular transformer as a starting point. For some reason, that
suggestion never made it to the list.

coils ranging from a few watts up to
many many kilowatts.  You wouldn't get the same fun as with competing with
other people using the same power source as yourself.  It would be much more
beneficial to see what all kinds of people could do with that 4kV/20mA (no
restrictions) than with a bunch of people trying to get their coil
outperform some boring mathematical formula.

As a recent convert (if you can't beat them, join them) it would be
interesting to see what kinds of schemes people come up with to get the
longest arc using only the 4kV/20mA transformer.

Dan

Regards,
Malcolm