RE: The Tabletop Tesla Coil Showdown - OFFICIAL RULES and WEBSITE

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Hi Malcolm:

One of my proposals was to have a competition class whereby any NST whose
short circuit current times faceplate voltage did not exceed 200VA. I see
no need to insist on a particular manufacturer, although I would still like
to keep one competition class just for 4/20 users (who may de-shunt up to
50mA Isc, a number I picked out of the air).  Would the anyvolt-200VA class
get you into the competition?

I'm leery of attempting to accurately gauge entries for true Watts.  I
assume the formula deals in true watts, not VA, right?  Particularly for
static gaps, true Watts is very difficult to meter, and 10 people would
measure 10 different numbers.  I think setting a maximum Isec-sc * Vsec
establishes a reasonably level playing field and is easy for all to
measure, even if the true Watts is nebulous.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

>Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>