Re: Variacs and current draw

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/11/02 6:12:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> How much current would the average 12/60 transformer draw. The reason I m
> asking is that I want to use a variac with it but I don t know which one I
> can
> get. Is 5amps enough?
>

> Matt

12*60 = 720 VA
720/120=6A   That would be if you are just using as a Jaccob's Ladder or
something

I have not measured it yet, but i would assume my 12/60 draws 7-7.5 A in TC
service

If your variac does not meet the current requirements of your transformer, you
may be able to use PFC caps to bring th current draw down.
Jonathon Reinhart
hot-streamer-dot-com/jonathon