3 Wire Motor -- Help

Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi,

I've got a 3 wire AC motor here, 1800/1500RPM, 10 MHP
1 phase 50/60hz

I'm trying to figure out how it works.

First off, I've ripped it apart and it does not
appear to have any 'flat' spots on the rotor, nor
are there any 'dead' spots in the stator.

There are four wires, one of which is a definite
ground since it's screwed into the casing. The other
three are red, blue and yellow.

The resistance between the red and blue is 286 ohms,
the resistance between the red and yellow is 212 ohms,
and the resistance between the yellow and blue is 74
ohms. The motor's engraved data says it's 1800 RPM,
115VAC, .45A

When I apply voltage across the blue and yellow leads
(74 ohms) the motor won't spin and draws about .7A.
When I give it a little push, it spins up to full
speed and pulls .6A -- so I think I've found the right
power leads. (I = R/V = 74ohms / 120V = .6A - close
enough?)

The question is... 1) how do i get it to start without
a push, and 2) I know it has something to do with a
capacitor and the red lead :)

Should i just wire a high ufd AC cap end to the red
lead, and the other cap end to one of the power leads,
or do i need some sort of switch/capacitor to start
it, then take it out of the circuit once it's up and
running?

thanks in advance

-jeremy