RE: VTTC Multi tube: filament xfmr

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Sounds like a good idea Andy. I guess I'm fortunate in that I've got MOTs in
abundance. I found an appliance repair man who was going out of business and
sold me over 20 of them for 30$ to which I've since added  more. I hope
others like Ken who are looking for MOTs are as fortunate.
Dave H

Original poster: "Andy Cobaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<kb3ewy-at-rcn-dot-com>

I opted not to ruin one of my MOTs and used a core from an old 15/30 Transco
NST.  I kept the primary on the core, secondaries were beyond repair :-(.  I
wound about 20 turns of #12 stranded wire on the core to give 7.5V under
load to supply the 22.7 amps needed for my 4PR-1000A.  I would recommend no
less than #10 however, because after about a minute the #12 starts to get
warm, but I didn't have anything larger than 12 so it will have to work for
short runs of my VTTC.  You can see a picture of the filament transformer
before everything was tidied up at:

http://users.rcn-dot-com/tcobaugh/files/hv/filamentxfmr.jpg

Cheers,

Andy C.