Re: Why Secondary Q Matters

Hi Malcolm,

I agree the secondary Q is very important.  I would imagine that
the Q of my old research coil was high enough despite the 1500
turns of 28 awg wire.  I didn't actually measure it, but the coil was
4.2" diameter x 23" tall, topped with the 5" x 20" toroid (in an
early configuration).  It seems that the Q doesn't need to be
super-high, but just high enough to not create excessive losses.
It's a balancing act as you've said years ago (a balancing act of
primary gap losses vs secondary losses).  My coil may not have
met your requirement of 5 skin depths though.

Cheers,
John