RE: Why no corona? AC / DC transmission lines

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Sure, there are transmission lines that run up to 768kV or better.
I've even heard of megavolt lines (anyone know where these are?)

basically bipole
transmission lines (+/- 500,000VDC).  Seems Edison could be happy right now.
DC high voltage lines are run
because of their lower reactive losses and are under a lot of study right
now.
I think i heard before that over 30% of power is lost in AC high voltage
power lines just due to losses.  Of course in DC transmission lines you do
get a large amount of losses in the step-up / step-down converter systems.

 that run
across deserts. But the vast majority of power lines are small, under
14.4kV. Also, while we run at 400kV regularly, their 400kV would act a lot
differently. Even though the voltage is the same, the frequency is a lot
different. And weather it's a megavolt line across a desert, or the 120 in
your wall outlet, it's ALL at 60hz. Things get freaky with frequency.

corona as 60Hz lines.

Dan

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org

"He had that rare weird electricity about him--that
extremely wild and heavy presence that you only see in
a person who has abandoned all hope of ever behaving
normally." --Hunter S. Thompson