Re: Questions about Variacs.

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Ken's Mail by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<bluewaterdiver-at-earthlink-dot-net>

>OK, I give up!!!
>
>I have to ask.
>
>I have searched all over the web and exhausted every scrap of info I
>have found and I still can't seem to figure it out, so here goes!!
>
>The only thing I can do with it is run a leg/center tap configuration. 1
>& 3
>
>>From what I found the popular consensus seems to be is Input on 1 & 2
>and Output on 1 & 3. All I do in this configuration is pop breakers.
>

>       ____ 1
>      (
> 5 ___(
>      (
>      (
>      (<--- 3
>      (
>      (
>      (
> 2 ___(
>      (
>      (____ 4
>
>The total 1-4 resistance is .6 ohms.
>
>Can someone clue me in as to what's going on here??
>
>Thanks for the input.
>
>Ken

Hi Ken...

depends on what voltage you are running to the variac as to how it will
be wired up....

if you are using 120VAC  ( 120 in 140 out) , wire as follows ...

hot wire into #2 screw, controlled hot wire out of # 3screw to load.
Neutral into #1 screw , neutral out of # 1 screw into load.

for 240 VAC

hot #1 ( one phase of 240)  into #1 screw, hot #1 out of screw #1 to
load,  hot #2 ( other phase) into # 2 screw, controlled hot #2 ( other
phase ) exits #3 screw to load.

and if that doesnt help see this link....
http://members.telocity-dot-com/~bigfoo39/tcoil.htm

Scot D