Re: New 4" coil: R.Hull and CSN, Secondary Varnish

Hi All,

I use off the shelf spar varnish. It's flexible, doesn't take long to build
a nice thick coat if desired,
and I have never had a shock on a coil (sonotube, pvc black or white) using
spar varnish. One benefit to
this type of coating is the ability to peel off an area around a shorted
turn should a coil need repair.
It does not penetrate between windings as well as a thin urathane might,
but it provides a nice looking
coil, excellent insulation, and has withstood temperatures from both
extremes (Minnesota to California).

Here's a link to a page discussing the differences between several
different coatings and some of what
goes "into" varnishes, polyurathanes, resins, etc. May even provide a hint
as to the "shock theory" (keep
an eye on the dryers).

http://members.aol-dot-com/woodinfo1/varnish.htm

here's a photo of a coil with spar varnish on it (to give an idea of the
finish).
http://www.classictesla-dot-com/photos/tgk/85.jpg

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jeff W. Parisse by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com>