Re: OLTC update - Poor seconadry Q

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Terry,

I'd bet if you remove the secondary from the primary and re-measure it
you'll see a Q more like 200. The primary "gap" is conducting on
alternate half cycles, sapping energy from your secondary and lowering
the effective Q.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have adjusted my coil as best I can but the output still seems "weak".  I
> think I now know why.  My secondary Q is only 36.  That works out to a
> secondary AC resistance of about 3300 ohms!!  R = 2 x pi x F x L / Q

<SNIP>