Re: OLTC update - Poor seconadry Q

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> how do you know the q is so bad? did you measure it or calculate it? can you
> feel the secondary heating? also weak compared to other 300 watt coils
you have
> made or seen or are you comparing it to johns formula for input power and
park
> length? the formula might not be accurate at low powers, i doubt he looked at
> alot of 300 watt coils when making the formula.

The formula appears to work well even with powers below 1 Watt.

> > Just to give an idea of how bad this is... I am pumping and quenching 317
> > watts into the secondary system. 53 watts is going to streamers and a
> > stunning 264 watts is going into heating up the secondary!!!
> >
> > So 83 percent of the power is "lost" :-((
> >
> > Some notes are at:
> >
> > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTCnotes.txt
> >
> > The entries at the last tell of the Q=36 case.

Q=36 is not so bad. Most of the input energy is being transferred to
the secondary. With k=0.2195 (mode 4,5) my calculations show that
the voltage gain reaches 947, with the ideal maximum being 1089.
About 76% of the input energy is reaching the secondary capacitance.
Distributing the secondary capacitance of 36 pF as 18 pF for the
self-capacitance of the secondary and 18 pF for the terminal,
38% of the input energy should be immediately available.

> > So... I don't k! now if it is the SonoTube, surroundings, proximity
effects,
> > plastic wrap coating... Have to test some things... A small chance it
> > could be the anti-parallel diodes...

Your coil is performing as expected for a coil with a lot of relatively
thin wire. I see the same happen in the coil that I used for my
transformerless system, with the effective resistance being about 6
times
the expected value considering skin depth alone. I think that proximity
effects in the windings are the main reason for the large increase in
the effective resistance. I would suspect also of the wrapping, that
is an "untested technology". Air trapped between the layers may be
getting ionized, and may be dissipating some energy.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz