Re: science project?

Original poster: "B2 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bensonbd-at-boo-dot-net>

Hi Adam:

> I am trying to think of a project to do for science class (chemistry). I want
> to do something with my tesla coil, but I can't think of a thing. The
proposal
> had to be in this format, "what is the effect of _________ on __________"
(fill
> in the blanks). I was thinking of what is the effect of high voltages on
> plants. But, that is stupid, I already know what is going to happen. Can
anyone
> think of something else (using a tesla coil)?
> Thanks
> -Adam

     I once did a "Science project" on the effect of different metals on
the efficiency of a Tesla coil sparkgap.  I sealed electrodes of various
ultrapure metals (usually wires or rods) into pyrex glass tubes filled with
ordinary air.  Some metals expanded too much when the seal cooled and
cracked the glass.  This led to research about things like "coefficient of
thermal expansion" and "glass to metal seals".  If memory serves, I used
copper ribbon or platinum wire to attach the difficult metals (the thinner
the better).  Spacing was also varied.

     Once the spark gap tubes were finished I tested them in a small Tesla
coil for efficiency.  My output data consisted of spark length from the
secondary of the Tesla Coil.  I kept run times to less than 30 seconds.
This prevented the tubes from melting!

     Another approach, that I didn't have time to try, was to fill the
tubes with various gases or/and chemical powders (consult with chemistry
teacher closely on this one, wear goggles, and stand behind a blast
shield).  I think of this now after reading an unclassified government
report on a "sand switch".  I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Cheers,
Barry