moving websites (or portions thereof)

I'm thinking about moving all or part of my HV website to a different
domain... I finally ran out of room on my http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/
free 10MB site.. so I've been moving stuff to http:/www.luxfamily-dot-com/
(where I've got tons more room, albeit, not free)

I'll bet some of  you list'ites have had experiences with this and the
logistics involved ...  Here are some questions (to which you can reply off
list, if you like)

1) Any pro or con to putting images on one domain and leaving the text pages
(which are small) on another?  At least the search engines will still point
to the original valid page, but, makes the image tags kind of long, and some
of the "anti-hijack/anti-popup" etc software really doesn't like
inter-domain tag references.

2) What about leaving the text (but not the images, which get moved), and
revising all the intraweb links between pages to point ot the new site, so
that any click automatically gets you to the new web.  I've also seen some
javascript that does this, and displays a nice message about what it's doing
and why (although spontaneously appearing boxes do annoy me)..

3) I moved a bunch of robotics pages from the free site to the luxfamily
site, and just left pages with redirects and some info on the old site (not
much space required, and at least links point somewhere).  How long is good
for the redirect pause?  I find 5 seconds much, much too short, but 30
seconds seems kind of long.

4) Any experiences to share on how well the search engines do on refreshing
the new link (how smart are they at recognizing that it's an identical
page?)  Is there a standardized interface anyone's aware of to tell the
robots and spiders what to do?

5) Good ideas on finding places that have "mirrored" the site, so I can have
them redirect their master pointer?

Jim Lux
jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net