RE: New 4" coil: R.Hull and CSN, Secondary Varnish

Original poster: "Jeff W. Parisse by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com>

Bart,

We used spar varnish on all our coils up until last year. We had four
coils spinning 24/7 and we applied a coat a day for ten days. I got the
worst case of lung fry and later bronchitis from the long term exposure
(read: stink). The stuff is great but the advantage of an odorless
application that takes one day is very appealing. Bottom line opinion:
Spar varnish is probably the best one-part, brush on coating.

Wet winding (if you dare...) is the solution to winding penetration. ;-)

Jeff Parisse
www.teslacoil-dot-com

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi All,

I use off the shelf spar varnish. It's flexible, doesn't take long to
build a nice thick coat if desired, and I have never had a shock on a
coil (sonotube, pvc black or white) using spar varnish. One benefit to
this type of coating is the ability to peel off an area around a shorted
turn should a coil need repair. It does not penetrate between windings
as well as a thin urathane might, but it provides a nice looking coil,
excellent insulation, and has withstood temperatures from both extremes
(Minnesota to California).