RE: New 4" coil: R.Hull and CSN, Secondary Varnish

Original poster: "Jeff W. Parisse by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com>

>> We haven't noticed the "secondary after shock" with the 3M coating
>> either. My hunch is that the rough micro surface of the semi-hard
>> resin is less of a capacitor plate (yes I meant plate) than the glass

>> like surface of hard resin. I'm sure I'm starting a new thread in
>> which I'm not qualified to contribute so I'll just leave it at that.

> All the epoxy resins that I have seen are poor insulators. Maybe
> good enough for Tesla coil insulation, and even advantageous for
> safely draining static charges. Epoxy doesn't retain static charges
> for long (seconds) periods. It can't even be electrized by friction.
> A big no-no for electrostatics.

We went directly to 3M and worked with their engineers to select
an electrical potting compound specifically designed as an
electrical insulator and that's why it was so $$$. I don't know
about the hardware variety except that it worked great on a 8"
120mA NST test coil. We did not do any coating science on that
coil.

Jeff W. Parisse
www.teslacoil-dot-com