Re: Source for large variacs ? ? ?

Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Dan,
Keep an eye out for old machinery auctions or large three phase welders
for sale in the papers. I scored a super find in a 600 amp three phase
welder, this brute has three huge 200 amp variac's that are chain driven
from the face plate dial. And as a bonus this unit has arc stabilizer
ability, this consists of three 200 amp variable inductors. Also face
plate driven.
All this and an ability to run it AC or DC with a little clever switch
gear installed, Will be the nicest power control cabinet i could
imagine.

I'm not saying you need something this large, but since i only gave up a
$100 debt for this beauty, you just might find a nice 225 amp unit that
uses variac's? The arc stabilizing inductors are a very good bonus so
you might want to "shop around" until your beauty comes along.

 some pics are at
http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id44.htm

I think i posted them "high res" so you could save and zoom around in
there to get an idea of what to look for.

 Take care, and good hunting
Marc M.

P.S.
(sure is nice being back on the list again! I went through list
withdrawal in the hospital?)