Re: Anyone use MMC's with their pole transformers???????????

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>
>

>Anyone one use MMC type capacitors with their big pole transformers????

Is there anything else? :)

>I just acquired a 5kVA transformer, and wanted to know if MMCs would stand
>up to the "badness" of these monsters or if I should go elsewhere can get
>some surplus maxwell pulse caps instead???
>
>Thanks
>
>Dan

The Geek Group uses MMC caps with all it's coils, including both the large
Pig systems and the large PT system. 5kVA is cake, we run at well over that.

We have coils that go from little tabletops for classroom demos, up to the
15", 18", and 23" systems, and even the proposed Avalon coil, and they ALL
use, or will use MMC caps. They can easily stand up to the "Badness" of
Pigs, PTs, MOTs, and, if you're really insane, XRTs :)

The first MMCs we ever built are still in regular use, we've never had a
single failure, period. And we're *not* kind to our caps.  We're not the
first to run MMCs with Pig systems though, but I think the first *is* a
member :) If I remember correctly (no guarentees there) Robin C. holds the
honour of being the first person with a Pig/MMC system.

I put the order in today for the next batch. CD says we'll have them in
about a month so they're not far off :) If you'd like to get a bunch of MMCs
for a Pig system just let me know, email chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com and I'll get
ya in.

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org

"He had that rare weird electricity about him--that
extremely wild and heavy presence that you only see in
a person who has abandoned all hope of ever behaving
normally." --Hunter S. Thompson