Re: Tube regulator for removing ripple . . .

Are you worried more about ripple or regulation?  I took a quick look at an
ARRL handbook (1990 edition) and they give a guideline of Lcrit =
Eout(Volts)/Iload (mA), so for 4000V and 1A, it would be 4H, a reasonable
size for an iron core choke.

Reference data for Radio Engineers gives a design equation of
ripple/output = 0.83/(LC) where L is in H and C in uF

plugging in your number of 10V ripple (RMS or peak?)
10/4000 = 0.83/(4*C) >>> C = .83/4*4000/10 >>> C = .83*4000/40 = 83 uF

But.. make that a 20 H inductor, instead of 4H, and you're down to 16-17 uF...

20H is certainly reasonable