Re: Twin Tesla coils

Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

So Scott, in the end you basically had the exact same setup as a
conventional coil system, with two primarys in parallel instead of just one
right? And they still arced to each other despite both coils being exactly
the same? And did you tune the coils by moving the primary tap on both at
the same time? Hmmmm... that would be the coolest thing if you could set up
the coils to "repel" each other, causing the sparks to fly away from the two!

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz "

You can check out my twins at http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/rscopper/index.htm

The tuning of my twins was a pain in the -at-#$%!!

I thought the same as (Un)Terry about reversing the primary windings, but
in the end, I had to wind everything in the same direction. The formulas
for a "standard" two coil system don't quite work out for a twin system
either - so have extra primary windings on both for tuning.

R. Scott Coppersmith

In a message dated 4/3/2003 6:15:10 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

 >Original poster: "Terry Oxandale by way of Terry Fritz
 >"
 >
 >To get you started (and I'm setting up a twin at this time, so I'm not an
 >accomplished expert in this,! yet) you can use identically wound primary and
 >secondary coils. My design will tie the two primaries together by a
 >connection that goes from the outer-most turn to the other coil's
 >outer-most turn (this is how I go about "reversing" the polarity provided
 >the two coils are identically wound the same direction). These two
 >primaries are then tied to the cap and the SG (series) from the innermost
 >turns on each primary. If I've screwed this up hopefully one of the
 >"twin-men" will correct me before I go too much further.
 >
 >(Un)Terry

&!
gt;Finally got everything working with the big coil. (a 6 inch secondary may
 >not seem big for many of you, but it is for me) I'll post some pictures as
 >soon as I can find time again to fire it up. On to the next project... my
 >electronics teacher recently acquired a semi-put together coil from another
 >school who's electronics class went under (ahh... the wonders of public
 >school funding =P ) and had no idea how to make it work. So I decided to
 >help him get it working before I graduate. This thing needs ALOT of work, (
 >the spark gap is 2 spaced screws, they lost the HV capacitor, primary can't
 >be tuned, no topload, etc. ) but the thing I noticed is that they have two
 >identical secondary coils. ( I'm guessing in case one ever failed ) So I'm
 >thinking of making it into a twin tesla coil system. So I'd like to know
 >what is the theory behind twins? The main idea I had about them is that
 >they have t! he same tank circut, but it then splits! off into two identical
 >primary and secondary coils. So how do you get the two coils to be 180
 >degrees out of phase with each other? Anybody have a link to a website that
 >has a schematic or something? Thanks.
 >

 >-Chris

-Chris