Re: OLTC maggy

Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 >  > You're right: I forgot about the capacitance. I
 > think that it would be
 >  > impossible to make a coil in this way that had a
 > high enough L/C ratio to
 >  > get a reasonable magnifier alignment. The
 > secondary needs much more
 >  > inductance and less capacitance.
---
C2 should be a dominant capacity in sky high coupled
system if you want  optimisation.
In (1,2,3) mode C2>2C3.For let say C3=30pf-> C2>60 pf.
On other hand ,for higher power and bang energies mode
(2,3,4) is better in sense of preventing possible
problems elswhere in a real machine and isolation
difficulties between coils in driver circuit.Mode
(2,3,4) significantly reduces voltage stress between
driver coils .
However that has its price :0.5 cycles more in
transfer and C2>4C3.
How to realise 120+pf capacity in small machine with
800 W max power?Toroid?Even in (1,2,3) mode 60 pf
toroid will look stupidly big on your OLTC.
However here are consideration how these and bigger
capacities can be realised:

a)One shouldn't limit yourself just to a single wire
connection use (so called transmission line) between
driver coil and extra coil base.To avoid impracticaly
long wire in lab,use 3 or more thick wires paralel,
separated by some distance (in one plane paralel to
ground).
That will increase effective radius and capacity.For
the option of tuning they be made movable with respect
to ground plane.

b)Another constructing possibility is putting grounded
cylindrical screen inside driver coil cavity.The
continuity of the cylinder to be broken from top to
bottom in few places (ie.vertical cut) in order to
prevent shorted turn effects due to intensive magnetic
field presence in driver.

c)If someone finds these constructing efforts pain in
a#% there is,as always, straight forward solution
(money is price) :
Getting/purchasing 200KV+ rated high pressure gas cap
in 100 pf range (or something similar,with vary cap
options the best).As of dimensions,200pf-at-200 KV   high
presure cap I saw in local lab was 50-60 cm high.

---

: If
 > I'm designing a 1:2:3
 >  alignment, does that mean that I make the
 > resonant frequencies of the three
 >  > circuits (uncoupled) in the ratio 1:2:3? So I
 > make a primary that rings at
 >  > 100kHz, a secondary at 200kHz, an extra coil at
 > 300kHz, and just stick them
 >  together?
---
No.Number ratios evolve from equations for
optimisation of already joined system parts.
Consult Antonio's paper .

regards,
Boris