Re: Z-Machine Sparkage

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Ken and all,

The Z-Machine is without a doubt the world's largest pulse generator, 108
feet in diameter and 20 feet high. It consists of three circular concentric
sections. The outermost ring (not visible in the picture) houses 36 nearly
identical Marx generators capable of storing over 11 million joules. The
outer ring holding the Marx generators holds 540,000 gallons of Shell Diala
AX oil.

Inside this ring is an inner swimming pool-like ring containing 600,000
gallons of deionized water. This section also houses a series of
water-insulated high voltage combination capacitors and transmission used
for intermediate energy storage and low impedance pulse transfer. Finally,
there's an innermost circular section - this is where all the energy
ultimately goes. The central experimental chamber is operated in a high
vacuum. The vacuum is necessary to provide sufficient insulation for the
final MITL (Magnetically Insulated Transmission Lines) that lead to the
central experiment section - where the BIG bang eventually goes!

Each Marx generator consists of sixty 1.3 uF capacitors charged in parallel
to 80-90 kV. Each of these can deliver up to 5.7 million volts into a low
impedance intermediate energy storage combination Capacitor/Transmission
Line (C/TL) having a characteristic impedance of about 4 ohms. The C/TL's
use deionized water as the main dielectric. Water is used for several
reasons - it has a relatively high dielectric constant, it's an excellent
insulator for short intervals, and once the experiment is over it can
harmlessly break down to safely dissipate residual energy from the system.
During pulse storage and transmission, the peak E-field across the water
dielectric is about 200 kV/cm.

Once the Marx generators have charged the intermediate water C/TL to 5 MV
(in about 1 uSec), precision laser-triggered spark gaps switch this stored
energy into another series of low-impedance water-insulated transmission
lines, and then through vacuum (and magnetically) insulated transmission
lines and self-triggered gas insulated spark gaps, and finally into the
load. If everything works properly, energy from all 36 Marx Generators ends
up as one huge 2.5 million volt pulse lasting about 100 nS, delivering 20
million amps into the load - about 60 terawatts of peak power. For those
interested in all the gory details, a number of excellent papers on the
Z-machine can be found in the 11th IEEE Pulsed Power Conference Digest of
Technical Papers.

Now back to Ken's question:
The Sandia picture shows the middle (deionized water) section of the
machine during, and after, a shot. The fractal-like Lichtenberg figure
discharges are from "left over" energy (perhaps 5% or less) being safely
dissipated to nearby grounded framework once the water has undergone
dielectric breakdown. However, this occurs long after the humongous main
pulse has come and gone, and is only an aftereffect. The bright blue-white
regions underwater are from the 36 laser-triggered gas insulated spark gaps
that were simultaneously triggered to drive the main pulse into the vacuum
chamber. Most of the energy from the Marx generators ultimately ends up as
radiation (heat, light, high energy X-rays) inside the vacuum chamber. And
part of it also creates an earthshaking BOOM that jolts the entire facility!

BTW, for those who've read this far, some more interesting "sparks and
arcs" stuff can be found at a new page on my web site. On this page you'll
see a picture of the world's longest manmade spark (325 feet!), a 1.2 MB
MPEG of a 345 kV 3-phase air break gang switch opening "hot" (it's gotta'
be the world's biggest Jacob's Ladder!), an awesome 5.1 MB MPEG of a
substation arcing, resulting in explosion and fire from a big power
transformer, and a number of JPEGS showing what happens when a Link Belt
crane tangles with a 34 kV power feeder, and loses! See these at:
http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm

Happy pulsing and arcing,

-- Bert --
--
Out-of-Print Physics and Engineering Books and
coins shrunk by ultrastrong electromagnetic fields!