RE: MOSFET Cooling

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

Hi Justin,

 > Hi Matthew and All,
 >
 > I've never used these on big power semiconductor, but I'm sure it
 > would work. Might be a little difficult to mount...
 >
 > One thing I HAVE used them for, is to heatsink the little 8PDIP gate
 > drive IC's MAX/TC4420 and MAX/TC4429. When arranged as a
 > double-H-bridge, you get an arrangement of four of these IC's that
 > are an inch or so apart from each other.

In addition to 8-pin DIP and SOIC, the TC442x are available in TO-220-5
package too.

The T0-220 really makes cooling a lot easier - just "surface mount" it
with a screw to the ground plane, and there's no real need for a big chunk
of a heatsink. :-) A large ground plane copper area is heatsink enough.

(i.e. to get the idea it's just like here in
http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/electr/dc-rx/pics/cheddar54-ad831mixer-large.jpg
it's a 9V regulator but absolutely the same mounting style as for my
TC4429's anyway...)

cheers,
  - jfw

--