RE: MOSFET Cooling

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Yes, I would second that.  The SOIC is completely out of the question, and
the 8-pin DIP can get rather hot depending
on your gate capacitance and switching frequency.  But the TO-220 are a nice
package which can be heatsunk.  I would definitely go that direction for any
of my new designs.

The Captain

 > In addition to 8-pin DIP and SOIC, the TC442x are available
 > in TO-220-5
 > package too.
 >
 > The T0-220 really makes cooling a lot easier - just "surface mount" it
 > with a screw to the ground plane, and there's no real need
 > for a big chunk
 > of a heatsink. :-) A large ground plane copper area is
 > heatsink enough.
 >
 > (i.e. to get the idea it's just like here in
 > http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/electr/dc-rx/pics/cheddar54-ad831mi
xer-large.jpg
it's a 9V regulator but absolutely the same mounting style as for my
TC4429's anyway...)

cheers,
   - jfw

--