Re: HV MMCs was Re: Magnifier conversion

Hi again Jim,

I got out the Ross catalog and saw how Ross makes HV AC voltage dividers:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0415-01.jpg

That 30-240kV divider looks much like what I need.  A half sphere top and a
ring at the bottom.  Like a sliced gazing ball and loop of copper
tubing.  Their's are also filled with SF6...

I'll try something like this.  I don't want to have pressure, oil, DI
water... just to keep it simple.  I figure the capacitance tap adjustment
should be near the bottom where the voltage is at ground potential and
things are easy.

Might have to just try it and see what happens ;-))

Cheers,

         Terry

-----------------
Hi Jim,

Do you thing the corona will be a big problem?  Antonio's caps had very
heavy ionization right across the dielectric since he had a single
layer.  But in this case, it is just a few sharp metal edges.  Spewing a
few electrons into free air.  The power loss should be nil and the voltage
is over a long distance so it should not arc over.  I could add a corona
ring (or a full series of grading rings), but I was not thinking this would
be a big problem.

Perhaps I might get regular streamers going of the terminals and such?  Not
sure...

Cheers,

         Terry